An Overview: My Life on ITO Orbital

Face it, pilots: Our galaxy is awesome, but, for new pilots, it is a daunting expanse, and difficult to learn to live in. In this journal I am writing up what I wish I had known in my first days piloting my Sidewinder. Some of these tips might help you survive your first days. Some of them just make the galaxy a hell of a lot less frustrating.




About me? My home growing up was ITO Orbital in the Rhea system. My parents were Federation officers. Damn good pilots, too. I spent countless hours stowed away on either my dad’s Gunship or my mom's Anaconda as they helped keep order in the system. Our station quarters had outside ports with fantastic views of Rhea 3. I think I know every bulkhead and corridor on the agricultural station. I lost my virginity in the maintenance tube under landing pad three. I miss Haddie, but, like so many of my friends, she moved on to find her own path in the galaxy.

I finished school three years ago and was excited to join the Federation ranks with my parents. They had a Sidewinder ready to go the day I graduated, along with a commission for duty in the Federation Reserve Pilot Core. I will never forget the thrill of exiting the station in my own ship for the very first time. That first day I cruised around Rhea until my fuel was almost gone. I was issued a small fine from docking control for blocking the mail slot upon my return to the station. But I eventually got better at landing. My mom had connections at the controlling faction, East Galaxy Company, and within a few weeks I was making daily data courier runs to LQ Hydrae and Orishpucho. Did my parents’ Federal rank and status at ITO help start my career? Absolutely. I was the only fresh graduate running missions at East Galaxy. I am grateful for the jump start my parents provided in my piloting career.

I was just finishing my first weeks of missions at East Galaxy when it happened. My parents were called away, along with a lot of other Federation pilots, to deal with a small uprising from a pirate organization called the Smiling Dog Crew. The pirate scum conducted raids on pilots from the Mobius collective, killing innocent haulers and traders. It became known as the Mobius Incident. Not very big news in the galaxy. Just a small blip on the radar for most people. But not for me. Both of my parents were killed defending Mobius pilots, and I found myself an orphan.

I inherited a small sum of credits, but not enough to buy a bigger ship. So, I spent months in my Sidewinder, learning how to live in this galaxy on my own. I worked non-stop for a few years trying to establish my own hauling company. And things were starting to look good. But then two ladies entered my life and turned everything I knew on its head. For the better. But those stories come later. If you are still with me, have a look around at the articles I've posted from my cockpit. Comm me if they help. Fly safe, Commander.


2 comments:

  1. Not sure if you're checking in here any more, but I just stumbled across your journal and wanted to say that this, by about 2,000 light years, is the best, most original, most entertaining set of Elite pages on the Internet.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Please share it with your friends! Or strangers...or distant relatives! More traffic might inspire me to continue telling the story. I link it on Reddit periodically to try and gain some traction.

      Delete