Buying New Ships: Stepping up in the Galaxy

Do not be fooled by the price tag in the shipyards! The cost of a new ship gives you a fairly bare-bones model with limited weapons and jump range. Outfitting it to your high standards can easily double the price.

I bought my Asp Explorer for 6.6M credits. But after I was done outfitting her, I had a total of 12M credits in her, with an insurance cost of 700,000+. The other ship in my personal dock is my Type 7, and its insurance cost runs me 1.1M credits. So do the math ahead of time, and patiently save up your credits accordingly. 

Two good research web sites for ships:

www.alpha-orbital.com/elite-sct: Lets you compare 3 ships side by side



www.edshipyard.com: Lets you completely outfit a ship to see what your cost and stats would be



IF YOU DECIDE TO SELL YOUR SHIP, STRIP IT FIRST!
If you trade in your ship toward the cost of a new one, go into outfitting first and SELL OFF AS MANY COMPONENTS AS POSSIBLE. When you sell your ship you lose 10% of its value versus what you paid. When you sell components you sell them for 100% of what you paid. Every credit helps.

MY OWN CARGO SHIP PROGRESSION
Everyone has their own ship preferences. My own preference is to fly a ship that has medium shields and weapons, a big jump drive capacity, and as much cargo as possible.

My list of ship purchases and max cargo based on my outfitting choices:

Sidewinder: 10 cargo
Hauler: 16 cargo
Cobra Mk III: 50 cargo
Asp Explorer: 112 cargo
Type 7: 212 cargo

I still own the Asp and the T7. The Asp is easily my favorite ship so far, with an amazing cockpit field of view, 6 front-facing weapons, good cargo space, and good maneuverability for its size. Fun to fly.

The Type 7 is simply good for its cargo. Otherwise it handles like a sloth and does not have many weapons slots.

KEEPING YOUR SHIPS AT THE SAME STATION
Speaking of my ships, I go to great lengths to make sure I berth them at my home station. It is expensive to transfer one of your ships across the quadrant. When I need to make a new ship purchase, and it is not at my home station: I buy a cheap sidewinder, fly it to the station where my new ship is, then sell the sidewinder, buy the new ship, and fly it home.

EXPLORING AND FUEL - Fuel Scoop Required
I am an ignorant explorer. When I bought my Asp Explorer and suddenly had a 30 LY jump range, I decided to stretch its legs one night just because I could. I set a far flung destination that was supposed to have a rare item for sale. After several refueling stops I reached a system that had no settlements. So I hopped to the next one. No stations. The next. Rinse. Repeat. A little sweat breaking out on my brow. I then checked the galaxy map and realized I was FAR from the populated bubble of the galaxy. In the middle of nowhere, with no fuel scoop.

I set my jump mode back to economical and limped my way back toward the bubble. About 25 jumps. I made it back to the edge of the bubble with about 5% fuel remaining.

Two take aways here, pilots:
1. Do not go exploring without a fuel scoop
2. If you still run out of fuel, there are Reddit scholars standing by to help you:

The Fuel Rats

They are legit.



No comments:

Post a Comment